Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year

I hadn't realized it had been two months since I last blogged. I had it on my "to do" list, but obviously it was never at the top of the list. There were many times I thought, "I should reflect on this or that" but never did in writing.

January is often a time of renewing, reflecting, "resolving" and beginning again. For the first time in twenty-nine years of ministry I am taking a study leave. In the United Methodist Church, our "Discipline" allows and encourages pastors to take a month every four years. Mostly, we, as in clergy, do not take advantage of it.

It is a surprise to me, that I am. I find it very difficult to unplug from the church. I know I need to, but nevertheless, it is hard. In the depth of my soul I find I am hungry for some deep rest, renewal and reconnecting with the God who loves and calls me not only into ministry, but into relationship.

So, I have a stack of books to read, some "technical" learning so I can use my devices and technology more efficiently and time enough to absorb it. I have time enough to rest, to spend time in the presence of the Divine and to renew my spirit.

I am grateful for this time and will use this space to reflect on it in the coming days. With this gift of study/renewal leave, I am, as always

Graced to Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment