Monday, March 21, 2011

Supermoons and Spring

The article in CNN http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/18/nasa.moon/index.html described Saturday's moon as a super moon. An event far rarer than the "blue moon" that occurs once every two and a half years on average.

"Saturday's full moon will be a super "perigee moon" -- the biggest in almost 20 years....'The last full moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993,' said Geoff Chester with the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. 'I'd say it's worth a look.'"

Of course, in Wichita, clouds covered the sky and I missed it. That is, until Sunday morning as we were driving west to come for worship at West Heights. There in the dark morning sky hung a huge moon. The dawn had hardly broken and so it was not competing with the rising sun. The moon hung bright and huge low in the western sky and it took my breath away.

While the scientific explanation of the super moon is fascinating and just the sort of thing I love to read, the experience of the moon was far more satisfying. I had been disappointed that I couldn't see it on Saturday evening. What a gift Sunday morning to see the bright and full moon in all its glory. To top it off, Sunday was the first day of spring. The days will now be longer than the nights and nature will burst forth with flowering life.


All of this is to say, that super moons and spring are a reminder to me that life is a gift and a blessing. It is easy for me to go from one task to the next and not pay attention to what is going on around. If I pay attention, I can see life breaking forth in the buds of the trees, in the greening of the grass, in the spring flowers as they unfold into yellows and reds and oranges and and pinks and purples. Even though super moons happen rarely, full moons happen each month. Sunrises and sunsets happen each day. I can open myself to the "awe-some" moments around me, or I can ignore those bits of grace that come each day.

Journeying through Lent in preparation for Easter offers me an opportunity to be more aware of Divine Love and Grace, to be more aware of the people in my life and the beauty that surrounds me. As spring continues to unfold, I am choosing this day to notice the beauty, the love and the life as it sprouts around me. By noticing these gifts I hope to remain

Graced to Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment