Monday, May 2, 2011

Some thoughts on the death of Osama Bin Laden

I missed the breaking news last night about the death of Osama Bin Laden. I was enjoying a wonderful couple of hours around a fire with my husband. With Lent, Easter and other pressing needs at the church, we had not had time to really relax together for what seems like a very long time. So with great innocence I texted out that we had to choose between roasted marshmallows or roasted Twinkies and the Twinkies won. I am sure that showed up in the midst of all the tweets and facebooks posts about the breaking news.

I am not sorry I didn't know earlier. I would have probably glued myself to the television or computer instead of focusing my time and energy on Andrew. My texted tweet/post must have seemed a bit inane to those who saw it.

I find myself oddly indifferent to the news. There is relief that this man will not be able to mastermind any more horrible acts of terrorism. There is certainty that someone else within that organization will. There is no joy in the partying that has taken over some of our city streets. There is sadness that this will not fix what is wrong in the world.

I have no deep words of wisdom. Violence continues to beget violence in Libya, Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan and other places. The fires of hatred continue to be fueled and I see no end in sight. This is not pessimistic for me, but a reality as I look over the pages of history.

As a woman of faith, how do I find ways to live, to speak, to witness to a God of peace, a God of love, a God of hope and yes a God of justice. When will that time come when "they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hook; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Micah 4:3) I am aware that this longing has been around for centuries and yet war is as real now as it has ever been.

Since I have no wisdom, I will pray. Pray for those who this death brings closure after 10 years. Pray for those who continue to serve all over the world in order to bring stability. Pray for those who work for peace and work to help others less fortunate. Pray for the President and world leaders. Pray for myself, that I might find ways to be a faithful peacemaker.

I will pray to be

Graced to Serve,

No comments:

Post a Comment